Well this was a setback! We’re trying to improve the house a bit. The bottom of our steel garage door was severely rusted. It is 40 years old and I decided to replace it. We bought a 165 mph door to put on as a replacement. The 165 mph door requires some extra bracing around the door opening requiring me to remove the old bracing. When I pulled the 1x4s down I found some old termite damage. Tracing the damage up the wall studs into the header and the top plate of the wall. We removed everything that had damage, including the top plate. a six hour job has turned into at least a 2 day job. We’ve completed demolition and started putting the replacement lumber in place. Here are some pics of what we’ve got so far.
|Termite Damage: Main garage Header||Termite Damage: Header Splice|
|Termite Damage: Some removed boards||Termite Damage: Part of main header|
|Termite Damage: Opening looking north||Termite Damage: A really secure garage|
So that’s how things were last night when we were finished. I will post some images of the reconstruction in the next couple of days.